These are our top 15 tips to help get yourself to the gym when it’s cold and your body says no.
Have you ever struggled to get out of bed in the mornings?
Weather it is colder or not it is a real problem people face every day and you are not alone. The different things that can effect your ability to be able to get up include:
Not having a good bed time routine in place
Not getting enough sleep or even good quality sleep.
It’s cold in the mornings
Restless nights can be attributed to stress, hormones, loud noises, snoring partners and crying babies, too light/not dark enough, mattress crappy, over thinking thinks, the constant ticking brain. All of the above and more.
In this blog we address many ideas on how to get that restful sleep and wake up a little easier this winter.
Try a few of these ideas. Don’t try them all at once, it will seem like a chore. Just try one, let it sink in for a couple of weeks and then try another that appeals to you.
- Eat your last meal at least 2 hours before getting into bed. If you have a sweet tooth problem, you need to cleanse your palette. Water, bedtime tea, clean your teeth etc. Do not cave to the sugar monster. If you ate enough protein, you can’t be hungry.
- No blue light for at least an hour before bed. Program your phone, ipad, laptop, and computer to switch to night light at 6pm.
- No taking work home in your head or bag, leave it at the door. They don’t pay you to work from home do they? after 7pm? nope…
- Have a break! Between peoples needing you. Shower, bath, into proper pj’s. Weather its kids, sisters, partners or parents… Tell them to bugger off after 7pm and leave you the hell alone.
- Stretch. Do a 10 minute wind down stretch. Look it up on YouTube. There are oodles for whatever ales you
- Same with a meditation sequence on YouTube to listen to get you to calm down. You may need to try a few before one hits home, but they are oodles for meditation, winding down, getting to sleep, manifesting, inner peace…The list goes on.
- Stay off the socials for a while before bed, it can be quite addictive and consuming.
- Read a book for an hour before bed. It does not have to be a self help, educational type book if you don’t think it will calm you down, get a novel or a biography from your local street library that doesn’t take much thinking afterwards. We do have a list of kick ass books for you to read here.
Getting up in the cold cold morning is hard…
So how do you nail it?
Good old will power
- Press the snooze button only once. The general consensus is that your snooze should be 10 minutes. It’s just a nice amount time to do the wakey wakey thoughts.
- Pressing snooze for 6 times is ludicrous. That is 60 minutes and 1 whole hour that you should have still been sleeping tight tucked in tight into your cocoon, Not waking up every 10 minutes to press your snooze button.
- You need 7 to 8 hours sleep normally. So go to bed earlier to make it work.
- Don’t say you aren’t a morning person. You can be what ever you want to be. Stop lying to yourself. By saying that you can’t, you are already resigned to fail.
- When you wake up, just breath 6 deep beautiful breathes. Don’t make excuses as to why you shouldn’t get up, I am sure you can come up with at least 5 good ones, instantly. But who is that helping? Always be resigned to the fact that your ass is getting up today…
- Have your clothes, shoes, jumper and socks ready to go. The faster you get dressed, the faster you can get warm and get you can get your ass in the car or on your way to the gym.
- Always keep in mind that your day at work or play is always better when you work out in the morning. It releases happy endorphins, clears a foggy mind, and adds time to your day.